Moroccan Chick Pea Stew
- 1 cup of whole-wheat couscous
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 whole cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground dried turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
- 16oz of garbanzo beans
- 2 tomatoes (can be substituted for 16 oz crushed tomatoes)
- 2 cubes of vegan stock
- 2 carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2-pilled potatoes cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 celery stick cut into ½ inch pieces
- Soak garbanzo beans overnight and cook until tender.
- Prepare the couscous according to package instructions.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Add garlic until brown.
- Add thinly sliced onion and cook until tender.
- Mix bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
- Dissolve vegan stock in 48oz of warm water.
- Pour garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and vegan broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add the rest of the vegetables.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, when vegetables become tender.
- Salt to taste
- Serve the stew over cooked couscous.